Birthday: May 18 (George Strait and David Nail are my birthday twins!)
Things I like: bacon, live music, shoes, cheese, summer, NY pizza, shopping (hey, I’m a girl, don’t judge), road trips,
Things I don’t like: pickles (on anything or touching my food in any way), winter, mean people, exercise (but I’m doing it anyway), people who don’t use turn signals
I don't mean to brag, but my job ROCKS (in a country way). The evidence is in this photo album.
I found this article on one of my favorite gossip/fashion/entertainment info sites, The Frisky, about the 15 skills every woman should master. According to the article, this is the list, with comments by the Frisky blogger who wrote it:
3. Satisfy yourself. And your partner. A-hem. Cough. Wink and nudge.
5. Say “no”/change the subject/turn someone down with class. My favorite way to deal with awkward/unwelcome questions is to say, “Oh, you! Now tell me about your [insert new topic here].”
6. Master a signature dish. This is mine. It’s crazy easy, super delicious and seems to impress everyone who eats it. I always spoil it by telling them it’s just the recipe off the back of the couscous box.
10. Look good in a photo. Here’s how I do it: tilt my head down slightly and look up through my eyelashes, angle my head to showcase my jawline, and keep my arms a bit out from my body to avoid Mashed Bicep Syndrome. Sure, all my photos look shockingly similar — similarly awesome, that is!
11. Hook up a computer. Now I know you were looking for an excuse to invite the cute IT guy over, but why don’t you just go to Comic-Con with him instead?
12. Know which direction you’re facing. And if you figure this out, will you teach me? I never know what to do when people tell me to turn north or west. What are you talking about? My only settings are right and left and even those are sometimes tenuous.
13. Make conversationwith anybody. Being able to talk to people will get you just about everywhere. When in doubt, ask them questions about themselves, then nod sagely. Seriously, this skill alone can get you through three hours of conversation. Here‘s a good tutorial on conversation-making.
14. Take a compliment. Even if you don’t believe the compliment or you get all full of blushes and stammers, you can just say “Thanks!” or “Ohhh, you flatterer!”
15. Negotiate. For a raise, for a car, for a house. Here’s a great podcastseries on negotiating in different situations. Yes, many of us turn inside out at the prospect of asking for a lower price or higher pay rate, but let’s suck it up and do it anyway. We deserve the best, right?
Me? I've got most of these down, although #5 still gives me trouble sometimes. Being able to firmly say "no" without coming across as a b**** can be difficult for some of us, especially if we have strong personalities. So, what other skills do you think every woman should have? Add them in the comments below!